Friday, October 21, 2011

Wilma, Wilma, Wilma… will it ever end?

Since I was a little girl, I have wanted to name my daughter Madeline. It was and still is, my favorite girl’s name. 

So naturally, when I had my daughter, I pitched the name Madeline to my husband and was very pleased that he liked it, as well.
At age three, my little Madeline is quite the character – mostly lovable, but sometimes a little stinker. 

The latest phase – one that doesn’t seem to be ending – is her interest in pretending that she is a dog.
She pads around the house on her hands and knees and barks when she is asked a question. And yes, she even pants and wiggles her hind end as though she has a tail to wag.
At first, it was kind of cute, so I indulged her little game and told her I would have to name my new little pup.
She loved that idea! “What’s my doggy name?” she asked.
“Wilma!” I blurted back, only because it was the first silly name that popped into my head.
And so, Wilma she became.
She informed me this weekend that Madeline had went away and that she would now only be Wilma. 
“Just call me Wilma,” she insisted. “Just Wilma.”
I pretended to cry and said that I only wanted my Madeline.
“Woof.”
I boo-hooed a little more.
“Woof. Woof.”
I got a little more dramatic about it.
She panted. “Woof. See my tongue? I’m Wilma. Woof.”
First thing Monday morning, she told my mom that she was Wilma and Madeline had left and wasn’t coming back.
My mom pretended to cry, explaining that she only wanted Madeline.
“Woof.”
It was no use.
For now, my daughter insists on being called Wilma wherever we go. She only briefly forgets about it when she is playing with her toys, coloring or decides that she’d rather walk upright and eat at the table like a person.
“Madeline” – even though it is the prettiest name in the world to me – is just not her name of choice at the moment.
Doggonit!

“Woof. Woof.”

"Wilma" and her real English Springer Spaniel, Chloe. Even Chloe doesn't know what to make of this new fad.


1 comment:

Families are Precious said...

So cute! She sure is a cute Wilma Madeline...:-)